The quick read analysis is here. Getting straight to the point, can I FINALLY stream every out-of-market game in a packaged deal that makes sense? From the NFL directly too? NO, you can’t!
NFL+ — the National Football League’s exclusive streaming subscription service — officially launches today.
With NFL+, fans can take their game on the go. NFL+ offers access to live out-of-market preseason games across all devices, live local and primetime regular season and postseason games on mobile devices, live local and national audio for every game, NFL Network shows on-demand, NFL Films archives, and more.NFL.com
- Live local and primetime games on mobile and tablet devices
- Live out-of-market preseason games across all devices
- Live game audio (home, away, and national calls) for every game of the season
- NFL library programming on-demand, ad-free
- $4.99/month or $39.99/year
- All features of NFL+
- Full game replays across devices (ad-free)
- Condensed game replays across devices (ad-free)
- Coaches Film (ad-free)
- $9.99/month or $79.99/year
We’re throwing a flag and calling a false start on the offense, NFL. If you’ve been following the NFL TV deals you’ll know that DirecTV seems to want no business investing further in NFL Sunday Ticket after the 2022 season.
This means the main way to watch any game out of your local TV market will change for the NFL’s 2023 season and onward. Companies like Apple, Amazon, and Disney have inquired to have rights to playing games on their streaming services.
Furthermore, the NFL+ reveal today is another example of a curveball the league could be throwing. With a streamable application that you can use on any Amazon device, Apple device, Google device, or personal computer wouldn’t it make more sense to expect 2023 with NFL+ AND the chance to stream every SINGLE NFL GAME weekly? (Ok fine, you can blackout the local games we won’t die)
What are the best NFL+ best benefits right now?
- The ability to watch every preseason game live.
- Monthly payment options but affordable yearly prices.
- A more direct way to stream local market games on a device rather than depending on a TV provider to log in on a separate app.
- Coaches Film: if you really love (LIVE) the game then, this could be a cool option to watch what the coaches watch to prepare and gameplan.
Why NFL+ disappoints?
- Roger Goodell had one good quote, “We look forward to continuing to grow NFL+ and deepening our relationship with fans across all ages and demographics, providing them access to a tremendous amount of NFL content, including the most valuable content in the media industry: live NFL games.” This quote screams, a trial and error year before we are ready to fully show it off.
- Not ready to stream ANY Live NFL game during the regular season.
Overall, the achievement of launching a standalone app with streaming capabilities in this day in age means you’re prepared to stream something valuable. It’s assumed that the NFL is attempting to take matters into its own hands and stream every single game live weekly, well eventually.
App performance, connection issues, and bugs in the software all have a year to work out itself before the DirecTV expires. That is probably the most promising takeaway from today’s announcement.