The 2017 NBA Finals is set to start this coming Thursday, June 1st. There are a few unique circumstances that surround this year’s Finals than of the norm.
- This will be Lebron James’ seventh straight NBA Finals appearance. The last time James failed to make an NBA Finals was in 2010 when the Boston Celtics eliminated the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals.
- For the first time in NBA history, the same two teams will meet in the NBA Finals for the third straight time. Yes, this is correct. Even the Lakers-Celtics rivalries did not produce a trilogy in the 1980’s.
- There will be seven players who made the All-Star team this season playing in the NBA Finals. Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Stephen Curry, and Klay Thompson will represent the Warriors. Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love round out the final three for Cleveland.
- Although the Cavaliers are the defending champs, the Warriors are favored in Vegas. Lebron clearly brushed off the notion by saying, “I only play blackjack in Vegas anyway, so it doesn’t matter.”
- These two teams don’t go without a bit of trash talk. Last year’s Halloween party for the Cavaliers featured decorations that threw much shade at the Warriors. A band named “3-1 Lead” make a special appearance. Let’s not forget this footage from earlier in the season where Draymond Green advised that he would like to “annihilate” the Cavaliers.